Sunday, June 21, 2009

The weekend that ends in an almost done pair of socks, a finished quilt top, some green tomatoes, and two happy dogs.

For the last week, I've been working on a pair of socks for my sister-in-law's mother. When we all figured out that SIL would be going on bedrest at some point during her pregnancy, I made her a pair of socks. The idea was to send some warm fuzzies her way, and make her smile a little when she wore them. She was wearing them when her mother came to visit her in the hospital, and her mother, Darling Woman, got "jealous". She wanted a pair, too! A pair of the same socks. "No problem," I said, "I have more of that yarn, so I'll have those done for you when you come back up for the birth!" I had planned on working on them this week anyway, because SIL was operating on an "any time now" sort of schedule...then her water broke last Sunday, throwing everyone's plans into disarray. Ah well, that's the way it goes. I started the socks on Monday, hoping to churn them out in the week DW was up here. But I got busy in other ways. And my hands got tired. And I got fumble fingered and started having trouble. And my fingertips were turning a little purple from the dye in the yarn. So I put them aside. They are nearly done, and will probably finish up this week. A better picture with a description coming soon.

Because I can't function if I'm not busy, I jumped into that quilting project I haven't touched in a month. I bought the fabric and it's been sitting in a bag on my piano. Because I didn't feel like pressing it. Yesterday, following the quilt-along instructions, I pressed it and cut it into strips. The strips got stitched together and became groups of strips. I cut the groups into squares. Then I decided to save some of the fun for tomorrow. For reasons unrelated, I was awake until 2:30a, and then BMcB woke me at 6:30a. And again at 7:30a. Brat. I gave up on sleep at the second wakening, got up, and started sewing. The squares turned into rows of squares, and the rows of squares became a quilt top. A pretty large quilt top. I'm currently debating options for backing and whether I should send it to a long arm quilter or try my hand at free motion machine quilting. To be honest? It's very large and I'm a little daunted, so I'll probably choose option 2, just to say I did. Then I'll make another one (because I already want to), and send that one away.

When I took this picture, I was standing in front of GF's little vegetable garden. He built it a few weeks ago, and the plants that BMcB hasn't trammeled or relieved of their root systems are doing quite well. Of course, we can't be certain what some of the plants are because she ripped out all the little plastic markers. Brat. ANYWAY, while choosing angles for my quilt pictures, I looked down and noticed the little green tomatoes that were beginning to show themselves. I love tomatoes, so I'm really excited about this.

BMcB update: it's been a little while since I gave an actual update about her. She's fine. She's doubled in size since we got her, but is still very small (she started at just over 8 pounds and now weighs in at 15.5). Completely bonded to Otto, she gets mad if he isn't wherever she is (we really thought she'd bond with Maxine, but she doesn't want a mommy dog). She's still learning the rules, and still likes to buck the system. But she's getting there. She's getting her grown-up teeth. This is very important because we give our dogs Nylabones to chew. She's been chewing on the puppy version. She likes those, but has wanted nothing more than to chew on the adult ones that are littering the floor for the other dogs. For awhile, we tried keeping them put away (which meant the other dogs went crazy because they couldn't chew). Then we tried getting the other dogs to chew them out of her reach (clearly we overestimated their intelligence and ability to reason). Then we just told her she couldn't have them. Repeatedly and over and over again. (Please understand that the others couldn't chew on her puppy bones, either. It was a fair situation, I promise.) Today, I decided to relieve us all of this irritation. Most of her chewing teeth are now the adult version, and she is no longer supposed to chew the puppy version. So we gave her the puppy starter bone, which is the same material as the adult bones in a smaller size. She eschewed the starter bone in favor of Otto's much larger bone.

And the 83-pound Otto took the puppy sized bone.

They are both very happy now.

No comments: