Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Vidi, Knitti, Froggi (I saw, I knit, I frogged)

From the name of this post, you can probably guess what happened. As I mentioned in a previous post, my self imposed sock club task was to knit a pair of socks each month. For this month, I pulled the Skew sock pattern, and some very wonderful yarn that I bought for myself. I was excited about this project because it was different and a challenge (and for ME).

Whelp, it was a challenge. Knitting from the inside and the outside of the ball to knit both socks at the same time, I completed the socks to the bind off with more than a week left in the month. This was despite a road trip to Florida and back (during which I did surprisingly little knitting), a viewing and funeral, a sore wrist, a brief stint of sitting uselessly when the baby was napping, and the demands of an increasingly mobile baby. Look!

There's a reason that picture isn't of the socks on my feet, or even of both socks. I knew the biasing of the stitches would make the socks less stretchy, and I thought I'd accounted for that. Unfortunately, I forgot to account for it over the largest point of my foot, specifically the heel/ankle area. I bound off the first sock on Saturday. Before binding off the other one, I couldn't resist trying the first one on. It didn't fit. ::sigh:: So I tried a stretchier bind off, and it still didn't fit. ::double sigh:: I could give them to a friend, but as I mentioned before, this yarn is MINE. I don't want to share it. So I frogged the first sock down to the heel, thinking that maybe I could just rework the heel and make it bigger, and tried it on again. I didn't account for the biasing enough, apparently, as they simply don't fit at all. I could reknit the socks in a larger size, but that yarn on a larger needle won't look very good, and I don't want to do the math necessary to get this sock over my apparently giant foot.

I totally knit the socks for this month. I would have finished them before the end of the month! I would have, if the damn things had just fit. I think I'll use the yarn to make Jaywalkers. Maybe I'll even have them done before the end of the month...

No comments: