Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Belated Birthday Wishes, part 1

I promised you pretty pictures, and so here's one for you:


I used the Khotan pattern (Rav link), by Hunter Hammersen, from the book Silk Road Socks. I used Dream in Color Smooshy with Cashmere. These belong to my friend J, for her birthday...which mighta sorta been in November. They got finished in January (Christmas knitting, GAH), and I gave them to her when she came over for MY birthday.

In my defense, I originally planned on making her something else (this, to be exact, with this yarn and yarn leftover from The Shrug), and it didn't go well. I tried and tried to get gauge and failed miserably. When the needles I was knitting with were 5 sizes larger than the pattern called for, I gave up and changed plans. That was a week before her birthday. So, for her birthday, she got a card that told her to look over at me so I could show her the gift in progress.

The funny thing with these socks is their color. You can't really tell in the picture, but one of them is actually more brownish than the other one. I was knitting from both ends of the skein, and I guess this is one of the quirks of handpainted yarns... This bothered me when I was knitting them, but not enough to stop knitting one and wait until I could knit them from the same end. Besides, I told myself, they're for J. She'll love them anyway because they're pretty and CASHMERE.

Turns out, she does. Happy birthday, J, and I'm sure glad you understand me.

1 comment:

Juliana said...

I lurve my socks!