Sunday, January 26, 2014

Out with the old...

Sometimes, things happen around you that you have no control over. You try, really hard to keep your life on a certain track, work very hard toward a specific goal, and find yourself stuck in a place that is unexpected. When that happens, some people lose themselves, slide into a rut, and never come out. But some people go with the flow and find themselves delighted with where they end up. I thought I was one of those first people. I honestly didn't think I was a go with the flow sort of person. I viewed the choices and things I've done in the past few years as choices to maintain my sanity more than as a changing of gears and direction.

I never meant to be a stay at home mother. Don't misunderstand - I'm so glad and grateful that I could stay home for that first two years with my wonderful little boy. I've enjoyed most of the time I've had home (I'd be a liar if I said I loved it all), and I don't regret the life course that led me there. BUT. It was never my intention or plan to continue that way. When I couldn't get employment because I am overqualified and under-experienced (along with a startlingly large number of other law school grads), we made the very best of a bad situation.

Now, I am beginning a new path. Or, more correctly, I am returning to a path I followed before but lacked the conviction to stay on. And I am stupidly excited. There will be a number of adjustments to be made. I will be home less to be with and be here for my family. I hope they understand. Logistically, my commute is far and long; but, we hope to change that soon.

Life has suddenly become very busy. I hope I can keep up.

No comments: